Since January 1, 2017, France took, for one year, the rotating Presidency of the "5 + 5 defence" Initiative, which brings together five States from the South Shore of the Mediterranean (Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia) and five States of the North Shore (France, Italy Malta, Portugal and Spain). France succeeds to Algeria.
Under the French Presidency, the 2017 action plan includes 38 activities. Ten activities are planned in France by 2017, including:
- The Meeting of the Ministers of Defence (December 2017);
- Two meetings of the Steering Committee (March and November 2017);
- The Armed Forces Chiefs of Staff Meeting (October 2017);
- The Organization of the naval exercise SEABORDER in partnership with Morocco and Portugal. This exercise is organized once a year since 2008. It allows the naval forces of the North and South of the Mediterranean shores to gain more experience in the field of maritime safety as well as to develop interoperability;
- The management of the CEMRES research , structure which leads the annual research work of The 5+5 Defence Initiative. This year, the theme of the research will be: "Security issues related to climate change in space 5 + 5: implications for defence policy?"
- The 5+5 Defence College Educational Meeting (October 2017), France serving as the permanent secretariat of this Committee;
Furthermore, several high-level meetings abroad in 2017, as:
- The Navy Chiefs of staff Meeting, in Algeria (April 2017);
- The Air Force Chiefs of Staff Meeting, in Spain (October 2017);
- The Defence General Inspectors , in Tunisia (second semester 2017).
"French Presidency of the 5 + 5 defence Initiative" Press Kit http://www.defense.gouv.fr/content/download/494122/8432690/DossierPresse_HD-def.pdf